Today was a challenging day to say the least. It started off extremely fluid and I was hammering out everything at record speed and slowly but surely I hit a wall. In retrospect I think that I am being far to hard on myself considering I am well over 50% done within 11 hours of work. The lessons that I have learned from today is that I have been focusing on the books about Ruby that have been recommended by the DBC team that involve best practices and long term design, but I need to focus on mastering basic syntactical logic. I went through the first 10 exercises in less than an hour and then after that I hit a wall pretty hard. I need to brush up on loops and iterators as well as the Array class in general.
Here is a list of my completed and my to to list for the week. I am giving my notice at work this week because I want a month of uninterrupted preparation before embarking on this journey. I was advised to not give notice until February 8th after I pass my DBC assessment, but meetings have been set and it is too late to stop the process now. Wish me luck, eek. I am getting through this material pretty quickly and so far there are only 4 people in the cohort that have even began working on this so for the time being I am ahead of the pack. The DBC Help Facebook page is a fantastic resource so as I read it more and more I don't feel quite so alone that people are struggling with the same problems. Here is my list today and I will post a similar list with the updated tomorrow.
Completed Materials
23/34 Exercises Completed: 6 Hours
Learn The Command Line The Hard Way Completed: 2 Hours
Completed Typing.io: 2 Hours
Be familiar with some common tech terms: 1 Hour
Total: 11 Hours
To do list:
Introduction to Programming: ~4 hours
Read Learn to Program: ~10 hours
Read How to Count: ~3 Hours
11/34 Exercises to Complete: ~8 Hours
Total to go: ~25 Hours
No comments:
Post a Comment