So here is a 300,000 foot view of what I have been learning over the past few days. I have been mainly working with Javascript and JQuery, which are higher level, but I hope to move to HTML and CSS as soon as I am done with the assessment. I know that all of these definitions are outrageously oversimplified, but I like to start up high and work my way into them so I actually know what the meaning is for once I get up and running on the language.
I will continue to focus on pure Ruby fundamentals until the assessment is done and then get up to speed on the basic Front-end that I will at the very least need to have the basic understanding for before I get to DBC. So here it is for now, more comprehensive definitions will come as I grasp a better understanding of how all of these systems work together:
Front-End: In order from low level to high level
HTML: Stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. Uses the DOM(Document Object Model) as a framework for structuring code. This is the backbone from which all front-end web applications are built.
CSS: Stands for Cascading Style Sheets. Takes HTML and formats it to make the HTML itself "structured" and "pretty".
Javascript: Brings HTML and CSS to life. Is responsible for dynamic content. I have been learning to think of this as a transportation hub from backend to frontend.
JQuery: Mass editing and viewing tool on Javascript. Runs queries on Javascript. Literally stands for Javascript Query. Uses the DOM in HTML in order to Query database.
Backend: In order from low level to high level
Ruby: Object Oriented language that runs on rails. I like to think of Ruby as the raw material itself that has been pre-fabricated and is waiting to be glued, cemented, and nailed together.
Rails: MVC Framework. If Ruby is the raw materials, then Rails is the contractor that assembles(scaffold) the frame of the house from which everything is built. They call it scaffolding for a reason. You put up the bare bones framework in Rails and then slowely but surely assemble around it with the pre-fabricated Ruby, Ruby Gems, HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc..
MySQL: Mass editing and viewing tool on database itself. Performs Sequel Queries on database.
No comments:
Post a Comment