Thursday, March 28, 2013

YES! RSpec(and more importantly Rails) is finally making sense. Day 4

So I am in Day 4 of my new QA Automation Engineer roll and this entire week was spent getting up to speed on Rails. I was at the point where I could read the Ruby, but had ZERO understanding of Rails and the framework until this week. I understood MVC at the most rudimentary level and spent the week sifting through 40,000+ lines of code to understand what was happening to properly test it. I spent basically all 4 days internally manic as I went from glimpses of understanding to the defeat of throwing darts in the dark.

After 4 grueling days I have covered one 100+ line controller and on my way to cover another 50+ controller in a matter of less than 2 hours when in the previous 50 hours I have covered all of 10 lines ;-).  I am coming to learn that RSpec has almost nothing to do with Ruby and everything to do with Rails. Ruby is used to simply structure the tests based on the boolean logic in the controllers and models and Rails is what is used to query the model(or factory) and test the code accordingly. It is interesting to watch Ruby and Rails methods called int he same line and interpreting it accordingly.

It is all starting to come together and I am excited for the transformation over the next month to see what value I can contribute to the team to stabilize code coverage and eventually contribute to the code base itself. One step at a time though, now sleeeeeeep.

No comments:

Post a Comment