I have to say it again. WHAT A DAY! I have been learning Ruby/Rails/HTML/CSS/Javascript for around 5 months now and all of it is about to go into hyperdrive. As of today I will be moving from helping develop the customer service center at my work to becoming a Quality Assurance Automation Engineer. That is quite a mouthful, but it means that I get to be learning software development 12-14 hours a day instead of 4. I will not be responsible for writing Rspec tests for the backend team, which will hopefully act as a catalyst for a deeper understanding of Ruby and Rails.
I can't begin to describe how big of a step this is because regardless of a person's aptitude, hours add up and 3X the learning per day is going to compound quickly. I have been focusing on low level Ruby, HTML/CSS, and Javascript for the last 2 weeks, but I will need to switch over immediately to focus on some higher level languages like Cucumber and Rspec to prepare for what work is ahead of me. The thing that I am most excited about is the fact that I get to read Senior Developers code for a large portion of the day and absorb best practices for well written code.
On the Front end side I have been putting together a personal website with my Resume, Blog, and link to Github. I was working on a javascript script and quickly realized that I had hacked my CSS together so I had to spend a couple hours fixing all the CSS inheritance duplication that I had created in order to make the code more readable for any friends that look.
img:hover { - such an awesome tool for CSS. I was able to make my images CSS change you hove over them. Coupled with opacity links can now look pretty stylish very quickly.
opacity: When you see grey icons that get darker or lighter when you hover over them, you may be inclined to think that the image itself is being swapped out for an identical darker or lighter one. This is not the case for most. If you simply take your icon and change opacity from .7 to 1 when you hover, you will have a noticable color change the is elegance and don't have to go through the hassle of changing colors of icons. Nifty trick for the day.
That is all for now, but I am excited to take this to the next level in the months to come. I hope to continue my journey learning and transitioning from Real Estate Developer to Software Developer. Upwards and Onwards
No comments:
Post a Comment